Who are we?
The Governing Body is formed by the school’s stakeholders - namely volunteers from the parent body, the local and wider community,
as well as employees of the school, such as the Headteacher and
elected members of school staff.
The Purpose of the Governing Body
The School’s Governing Body is there to oversee the development
of the school and therefore the role is primarily a strategic one,
working together with the Headteacher.
The Governors have a general responsibility for the conduct of the school, upholding its vision and aims and promoting high standards
of educational achievement.
The day-to-day management of the school is the responsibility
of the headteacher and senior leadership team. As Governors of Almondsbury CE Primary, we are appointed and elected to provide:
- a visible form of accountability for the Headteacher and school staff;
- a team focusing on long term development and improvement;
- accountability to the community for the use of resources and
the standards of teaching and learning in the school;
- support for the Headteacher and staff;
- strong links between the school and the community it serves;
- an independent view;
Carrying out the work of our Governing Body
We have 2 Sub-Committees and much of the work is delegated to these committees:
- The Finance, Staffing and Premises Committee – Chair Simon Begbey
- The Curriculum and Standards Committee – Chair Kate Foster
We meet as a Full Governing Body 6 times a year. In addition, governors are assigned to one of the above sub-committees and these meet between 3 and 5 times a year.
Kate Foster Ken Baker Prith Voual Simon Begbey (Vice Chair)
Local Authority Governors
Dr Simon Church (Chair)
Paul Smith (Headteacher) Nic Baykaa-Murray (DHT) Gavin Evens
Roger Halliwell Stephen Mackie
Sue Hewson Rev. Philip Rowe Mick Lugg
Clerk to Governors